Sunday, November 19, 2006

Toward Completing The Lathe

This is from Sunday Night, I am on the completion side of installing the motor mounts. I had to drill and tap 2 holes on the bed, and 2 on the cross slide. The second pic shows the 2 drilled and tapped holes on the slide. I did the bed with the fixture that sherline supplied and used a (I am ashamed to admit it) cordless hand drill and all things considered it went well . I tapped them "freehand". The installation there seems fine. After that I decided that the mental stress was not worth a repeat, all I had to do was clear out about a ton of stuff in front of my bridgeport to drill and tap it in relative style. So that is what I did. I must say a bridgeport is a joy to use.

The only thing that kept me from finishing the mount installation today was that I had not read real close that I needed loctite, and I could not find my bottle, and by then all the stores were closed. First thing tomorrow I plan on getting some and finishing it up.

Mounting the motors should be fairly noncomplex. Hopefully everything will be operating ok. If so then I will be setting up a box for the motor controller board. I will probably hard wire it at first then get in some 6 or 8 pin din connectors for the stepper motors. There are only 4 wires but from looking at the jameco catalog it looks like there might be some availibility problems with 4 and 5 pin connectors.



 
  Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home