Sunday, November 12, 2006

Motor Mounts for Sherline Lathe

I am ready to order, but having trouble deciding on where to order it. I decided to go with the sherline mounts and leadscrew package PN 6720. This is based on a recomendation by irritatedvowel. I am sorta disappointed in that the sherline page doesn't really do a good job of describing the why and what of their mounts. They might but the site is pretty hard to navigate to find things that you know are on it even. Another annoying thing is the mount is list priced at $200 but on the sherline site checkout it is $250. I found a site linked as a dealer of sherline parts (on the sherline site) that sells it for $190, but it looks like you have to go through the checkout to find what shipping is, including putting your credit card number in. I will look to see if I can find a dealer that takes paypal but if not I will call them Monday to order.

Acumotion also sell a "sherline" motor mount kit that is alot less expensive, but it is only the mounts and flex connector, it is minus leadscrew like the sherline kit includes. It would be nice to know why a new leadscrew is necessary, and maybee if they had a writeup of the pro/cons of the mounts.

I have pretty much deciced to by the xylotex 4 axis kit, it seems to have everything except case and cabling. I would have to wire it for the steppers etc. Even though I only need 2 axis on the lathe, I like the idea of have the extra 2 axis in case I want to add something like a turret or add speed control to the drive motor. Just checked that site and it is down right now. I guess it will all have to wait until tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home