Saturday, December 02, 2006

TurboCNC and Dak Engineering

I finally got those 16F84s from dak engineering to drive the stepper motors of the parallel port. I have a test computer for it that is basically my oldest sacrificial computer that runs turbocnc. Just in case I somehow fry the parallel port. I should be able to drive 4 steppers with the 2 ics, just have to get it all straight.

I ordered the items on the webpage, paid paypal on Nov 15 and recieved them today (Dec 2). Order to delivery in 17 days or 2.5 weeks. I am getting spoiled by companies like Newegg.com, Jameco.com and Sparkfun.com and Xylotex.com where I get items in less than a week from paypal or credit card orders.

I am willing to cut the company some slack since the product is really a great one and the cost for what you get is probably just a fair deal. In fact the ICs I ordered are probably more a service they do than any real source of profit.

After ordering the ICs from dak, Pete cut me in on an order with sparkfun to get the Serial Port Programmer. It is a PIC programmer for $12.95 and I have to admit I was totally scamming in on Pete's research on the topic. It will program the IC that dak sells, and I have to really give Dak Engineering a thumbs up because they provide the assembler code and hex file to program the IC. Anyway I got the Serial programmer Monday of this week and if I had not been expecting the ICs from Dak to come in "any time now" I would have ordered some 16F84s to program them myself. Not a big deal and probably not worth mentioning.

Anyway I have got the ICs and when I have finished a bit with the PIC Programmer I will get to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home